Thursday 18 June 2020

Wet work Thursday

 I got up at 5.15 and made a pot of tea. I had marmite on toast for breakfast and packed a banana and a bottle of water for work and then just sat and relaxed till it was time to get ready for work. It was raining when I got up and still pouring with rain when I got to work. We all put our ‘waterproof gear’ on and then we had a cloudburst! You can tell how bad it was because the boss said we had better wait a bit till it eased up! After 10 minutes we were all fed up with sitting about so we thought we would brave the weather. Andrew had put a load of rubbish on the trailer to be dumped at the top of the field. As we walked past we saw a movement and there sat a toad. I managed to reach, it took it off and popped it back on the bank. First we had to pick 40 bunches of beetroot and next 15 dozen bunches of carrots. It was pouring with rain the whole time and very muddy underfoot. We went back to the yard for our break and we were both wet through to the skin. I changed my wet t-shirt and we went back with another order for 10 bunches of radishes, 10 bunches of beetroot, 80 bunches of spring onions, 24 bunches of carrots and as many broard beans as we could manage to get before it was time for me to go home. We managed 3.really full boxes which when weighed should make 4. Even though it stopped raining around 11.30 I was wet through again, thank goodness it wasn’t cold. When I got home H made me a coffee and ran me a bath straight away. I had a nice soak in the bubbles and when I came down I had a scone with butter and black currant jam. I didn’t do much all afternoon, just shelled my beans for dinner tonight. We had fish cakes with potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and beans. Strawberries and cream for dessert. There wasn’t much on tv this evening but so far I have managed to keep awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment