Thursday 13 February 2020

Thursday.

I got up at 5.20 and for once I didn’t have enough to make a load of washing. I had my breakfast, packed my lunch and read a chapter of my book to help me relax before it was time to go to work. When I arrived the boss said we were all 3 of us working together this morning which was great because the time always go faster and we get a variety. Andy was going to be the tractor driver and as he had to have a blood test on his way to work he was late! So we sat in the shed and waited for him. When he arrived we went to the leeks first and had to trim 9 boxes, 3 each. Next we had to pick 4 boxes of loose carrots. It took us up to 10 o’clock. We had our break and then we were supposed to wash the leeks and carrots before going back into the field. Well that was when everything went wrong. A roller on our veg washer broke off and jammed up the machine. It was a struggle to get it out.and they couldn’t fix it and another broke off. The boss then sent me to bunch purple carrots, he wanted 34 bunches but I finished the whole bed and only got 31 bunches. Andrew was sent to parsnips and had to get 4 boxes and Andy who was helping the boss finally arrived . He and Andrew joined me on orange carrots and we had to have 72 bunches. When they were done we went to celeriac for 41 pieces. That is almost finished now as well. We also did a box of swedes. We took everything to the yard where the boss was trying to bodge the machine together with binder twine. We laid all the carrot bunches out on the rack to be pressure washed and after one side was done I turned them all over. It was my home time then . When I got home H said he had to go the bank and sort out a query. I didn’t want to go because I felt so tired but he bribed me by saying he would take me to my butchers on the way home. When we got home from all that H opened our last bottle of wine. We watched tipping point, I struggled to keep awake! When it was over I had a bath and cooked dinner. We had salmon, baked potatoes and baked beans. I don’t have to work any more till Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment