Wednesday 27 November 2019

Wednesday

I got up at 5.20 and put on a load of washing. I had tea and toast for breakfast, packed my lunch, and quietly read my book till it was time for me to leave for work. The reason I sat quietly was because H said last night, if I don’t get up wake.me up at 7. Well  at 7 he was still fast asleep 💤 . I decided to leave him and go to work. On the way there I went through some floods! The boss said he had had an inch of rain overnight! The fields were running with water. I had to do 40 bunches of beetroot, 72 bunches of carrots 🥕 where Andy joined me. We kept getting stuck in the mud almost every step. Andy got both his feet stuck at the same time and by the time he had pulled his right foot out his left foot and leg were so deep there was only 4 inches of his wellie above the mud. I tried to pull him out but it was impossible. I had to get a spade off the trailer and he had to dig himself out. I was falling about laughing 😂. We also had to pick 12 bunches of purple carrots. We took everything to the yard, stacked it all on the barrow and had our break. Next we had to go back and harvest 22 celeriac, 25 fennel and 4 boxes of leeks. There was no way we could trim the leeks the boss had lifted it was far too sticky so we pulled them up off the next 8 rows. Because I had been laughing at Andy he thought he would get me back by picking me up and planting me in the mud where it was really gooey. But before he could drop me in it his foot suddenly went in (deep because of our combined weight) and he fell over! I had a nice soft landing, on top of him! Neither of us could get up, me because I was laughing too much and him because he was stuck in the mud again. We took everything to the yard, washed and packed it all and it was time for me to go home. When I got home(wet through) H was waiting for me at the door. He said he got up at 8.05, the heating coming on woke him up. We had a coffee and a buttered crumpet. I didn’t do much all afternoon because I was too knackered after fighting the mud for 5 hours. We watched tipping point, I had a nice soak in the bath and then chicken curry for dinner. I have the joy of work again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment