Thursday 5 July 2018

Thursday.

I got up at 5.30, put on a load of washing and had eggs for breakfast. I packed my lunch, dressed, made the bed and hung out the washing before getting ready to go to work. I had to do 70 bunches of radishes, 44 bunches ofgolden beetroot, 60 bunches of purple ones and then anything up to 144 bunches of carrots. Everything was going well till I got to the carrots. It was around 11.30, so I cut my string, found the fork and started digging. The sun became hotter and hotter, I ran out of water and there wasn’t a breath of wind. Bearing in mind I am 79 and the ground is hard in all this dry weather, it was really hard work. I felt quite ill by 12 o’clock and had to sit on a box for a few minutes. I carried on working and got slower and slower. I only did 76 bunches when the boss came to pick me and the carrots up, it’s a good job he did because I don’t think I could have walked back to the yard. I felt so awful. I filled my water bottle at the tap and had to sit down drinking it till I was rehydrated and within 15 minutes I was back to normal but I am really worn out and won’t be able to stay awake for my soaps tonight. We had steak for dinner with potatoes, carrots and beans. No more work till Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment