Sunday 22 January 2017

Sunday 🏡

When I got up it was minus 4 degrees. I put on a load of washing and had my breakfast. We then watched a bit of news ( all rubbish) and had a coffee. H went up for a race on his turbo trainer and I did a bit of housework. Then I made some vegetable soup for lunch and poured us both a beer. I prepared all the evenings veg and finished the book I was reading. I got my washing in at 2pm and even though there has been no wind is was dry.
I Was quite upset yesterday because I heard that the house I was brought up it till I was about 14 years old has been raised to the ground. My parents moved there when I was 18 months old. The 2nd world war was about to start and as my dad was stone deaf due to having measles when he was 14 years old and unable to join up he was made to move and work as a milkman. The house came with the job. The house was in the middle of a field with a pair of semi detached. We had one of those at first but they were ' 2 up and 2 down' so when my mum had my brother and the 3 bed detached became empty we were moved into it. The semis have been gone for years. We never had gas or electricity and we had a cold water tap in the scullery which froze up every winter so we had to carry milk churns of water from the cottages at the top fo the meadow. We had a huge ' copper boiler' in the scullery, my mum had to light a fire under it to heat the water to do her washing and used to have an old broom handle it kind of mash it up and down to clean it. She would do the whites first then drag the hot coals out so the water would and she could put the coloureds in. We had a huge mangle to wring the hot water out and the washing would go into a zinc bath of cold water to rinse with a bit of ' blue bag ' init . The same happened with the test of the washing and it used to take my mum most of the day. All the dirty water had to be scooped out by hand, poured over the step which was scrubbed within an inch of its life. More of our life tomorrow.
 Our lunch soup was nice, I expect H will think he is having flashbacks at dinner because we are having exactly the same as yesterday. Work for me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment