Monday 23 January 2017

Monday.

It was cold all day at work so I was glad to come home and warm up. I took a salad for my lunch and for dinner tonight we had a pizza and oven chips. This was because I forgot to take anything out of the freezer this morning so we had to have something I could cook from frozen. I trimmed leeks all morning and in the afternoon I did 2 dozen bunches of carrots and a box of loose ones before going back to leeks.
Another bit about our old house. We had a scullery, a living room and a sitting room. In the scullery there was an open fire and either side of it there was a wall oven. Mum had to cook in those ovens, she lit a fire under the ovens and had to keep pulling the ' damper' in and out to regulate the heat. Her bread, pies and cakes were amazing, I don't know how she did it. The fire in the living room was black leaded and had hobs on either side where a kettle always stood with boiling water, she also had to heat her flat irons on them or a Primus stove. The fire in the sitting room was also black leaded but small, we only used that room on high days and holidays. We had 3 bedrooms, 2 of them also had fireplaces but we never used them. We had no bathroom and washed daily in the scullery except Fridays when we had a bath in front of the fire. Dad carried it in and it was filled with water heated with the kettle and saucepans on the fire. Our toilet was at the bottom of the garden ( bucket style). My grandad was a blacksmith and carpenter, he gave my dad a large plank of oak and my dad carved 2 toilet holes side by side, 1 large, 1 small so mum used to take us to the loo and we would sit side by side. Often on the way down the path to the toilet our candle would blow out. I forget to say that our bath was galvanised tin with a handle at each end.

No comments:

Post a Comment