Friday 27 January 2017

Friday.

I got up at 6am, put on a load of washing and after I had made a pot of tea I had a slice of toast for my breakfast. I woke H up at 6.20 so he could have his breakfast and we could go shopping. After we had been to Asda we carried straight on to our butchers in Hevingham, their meat is the best. On the way back from there we called in at the chicken farm for some free range eggs. I hope they will soon be able to let their chickens out again. We had a coffee when we got back and I hung out the washing and brought the bin in again. I then went up and did 45 minutes on the turbo. For lunch we each had a small pork pie topped with Stilton from the butchers, they are delicious. We had pizza for dinner tonight, it was nice but rather salty and I have been drinking ever since.
I was born in 1938,just before the war and my dad, because he couldn't join up volunteered for the home guard. They gave him a tin hat and a rifle. The tin hat always hung on a hook on their bedroom door. Because he had a motorbike he used to have to drive all over the place at night to deliver messages. We were given a thing called a Morrison shelter.. It was like a huge metal table and had wire sides. When the siren went my mum would bring us all down with our eiderdown and our pillow  and we would all sleep in the shelter till the all clear sounded. If we were fast asleep she would just leave us there till morning. Mum never ever came under the ' table' she always sat on a chair looking out of the window. In the day the shelter was covered with a chenille cloth and at meal times that was taken off and a linen cloth was put on and it was used as our dining table

No comments:

Post a Comment