Friday 10 February 2017

Friday.

We had a nice lay in this morning, I did a load of washing but didn't hang it out because it was snowing on and off for the most of the day. I did a bit of housework, a bit of reading and some watching tv. We are shopping in the morning. We had cheese and biscuits for lunch and i made stew for dinner.
My nanny on my mums side came from Safron walden. She went to London when she left school and became a ' nanny' for some Lord and Lady in a big house. My grandad lived in Stoke Holy Cross with his parents who owned a laundry. He became a policeman ( a London Bobby ) and he met my nanny while she was out walking with the children in the pram. When they married they came to Stoke and helped with the laundry. My grandad drove the pony and trap to collect and deliver the laundry to all the big houses in the area.Dunston hall, Caister hall Stoke hall etc etc. In his spare time he was a special constable and one day had to go to a suciside where someone had thrown themselves off a railway bridge in front of a train. He had to collect the body up in several buckets. He was called up in the First World War and when it was over and he came back but was never a well man again. He was a horse doctor in the war in Italy and came home with tuberculosis. My mum was only 11 when he died. I really wish I had asked my nanny more about her life in London and the family she worked for. I know they had a butler,a cook and several maids but she never mentioned their name and I never thought to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment